HCA Introduction to Wound Care, Infection Control and Suture Removal
This full day course for HCAs replaces the half day HCA Introduction plus Wound Care parts 2 and 3. If HCAs originally went on the half day course they can still attend parts 2 and 3.
- 09:30 Introduction
- 09:45 Describe the layers of the skin and be aware of skin functions.
- 10:15 Identify the stages of normal wound healing.
- 10:45 Break
- 11:00 Discuss the clinical presentation of acute wounds (surgical wounds; moisture lesions; skin tears; blisters; burns)
- 11:30 Recognise the principles of suture and staple removal within the principles of ANTT and participate in a practical workshop
- 12:15 Acknowledge factors likely to affect wound healing
- 13:00 Lunch
- 13:30 Discuss the clinical presentation of chronic wounds (diabetic, arterial and venous leg ulcers)
- 14:15 Identify the signs of infection, and key management strategies for managing infections.
- 14:45 Cleanse and dress wounds using the principles of ANTT.
- 15:30 Identify appropriate dressing options for acute and chronic wounds (including bandage application) and participate in a practical workshop.
- 16:30 Evaluation and close