Venepuncture PM Session: Initiation & Refresher for Taking Blood from Adults and Children (2yrs +)
What you will learn
- Identify indications and contraindications for venepuncture
- Identify relevant anatomy and physiology
- Prepare a patient effectively
- Identify suitable veins
- Understand health and safety risks
- Deal with complications
- Demonstrate safe simulated practice
- Safe disposal and transit of samples
This course is designed for all clinical staff including HCA’s and receptionists who may have not conducted venepuncture before or who require a refresher to update their skill set.
The course covers all the skills and knowledge to safely carry out venepuncture. Although there will be opportunities to practise on a model, the candidate will have to undergo supervised practise in a clinical setting to be confirmed as competent.
Direct observation and assessment of competencies included.